Wednesday, November 7, 2012

In the wake of Obama's win, my mind goes to women's rights. Ol' Mitt, I feel, was ham-stringed by controversy surrounding women's right to an abortion and contraception in the weeks and months leading up to the election. Would he have won with the female vote? Definitely the popular vote. I think this shows an obvious disconnect with the voter base in the Republican party. How interesting that our readings would be over this very topic the week before the election. While we have made great strides to enact measures of equality in our society, we must not forget that this issue is still prevalent today. I wonder what the authors of Declaration of Sentiments would think of the issues important to us. Would they be proud that women finally have a voice or disappointed that they are still so underrepresented in business and government? I know that progress, particularly progress as it relates to human paradigm, is slow to change. I, for one, am proud to be living in a time when I can sit across from a strong independent woman and hear her speak her mind without fear of reprisal. To think that less than a hundred years ago Ms. Baldwin could not have been our professor gives me hope for the future. I hope all of you participated in the Democratic process because without it I fear we would not have had to consider what women think yesterday.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe one day every one will be truly equal. Its almost unbelievable the progress this country has made. I think the writer of the Declaration of Sentiment would be proud that even thought the battle is not won yet, we are steadily making progress. One day , "...these truths" will be "self-evident;..."(50).

    ReplyDelete