Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The shadow of Frankenstein

Victor Frankenstein becomes lost in his endeavors to greater knowlege. Frankenstein's non -complacent demeanor blinds him of his own self, the dependents of his family, and the world around him. During an era that knowledge immensely created power to find answers to the world, provoked Frankensteins evasive actions to steer him away from the main importance of life. Frankenstein's greed to success becomes a part of him in which his own desire becomes his worst enemy. Frankenstein realizes what he has become when he goes home, away from his infectious work, into reality. Frankenstein blames himself for the deaths of William and Justine as he mourns in despair, "I had begun life with benevolent intentions and thirsted for the moment when I should put them in practice, and make myself useful to my fellow-beings" (Shelley 61). Frankenstein acknowledges that he let his thirst to become of power interfere with his social structure, the love they share, and his true duties. Frankenstein goes on to say, "Now all was blasted: instead of that serenity of conscience, which would allowed me to look back upon the past with self-satisfaction, and from thence to gather promises of new hopes, I was seized by remorse and the sense of guilt, which hurried me away to hell of intense tortures, such as no language can describe" (Shelley 61). He sees that his ambitions became for all the wrong and left behind all that was cared for through his obssessions that only brought him lonliness, madness, and bitterness. Frankenstein sought out nature, away from society and all thoughts, which kept him at peace with himself. Talking of the scenery he states, "They elevated me from all littleness of feeling and although they did not remove my grief, they subdued and tranquillized it" (Shelley 65). Even though his greed overpowered him to lead to misfortunes; Frankenstein is able to let go of all his desires and hatred of his monster self to subdue himself of nature and life's main wanders and love.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you had to say about Frankenstein and his greed for knowledge. I think he became so submerged in his need to surpass the world with his knowledge, that he failed to realize what his consequences were going to be in the end. Frankenstein said it himself after the fact: "...I beheld the accomplishment of my toils....With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony..." (Shelley, 34). Then he went on to say "How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe..." (Shelley, 34). Almost instantly he came to realize the effects of his unhealthy quest for knowledge. How can someone play with science in such a way if you are not prepared to face the consequences. He is directly faced with what he created; and is horrified. "I felt the bitterness of disappointment: dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space, were now become a hell to me..." (Shelley, 35). Ouch...that sucks...to have such a passion for something in life and pursue it only to find hell. It's almost as if he wasted that time in his life. Guess it goes to show us that you don't screw with the one and only creator.

    ReplyDelete