Thursday, August 30, 2012

What about World Lit?

When I decided to take world literature this semester, I didn't really have much of an idea of what to expect. Of course I already knew that I would be learining about world literature from 1650 to the present. But besides that, I was almost clueless as to what I was getting myself into. I had actually been asking around, trying to get other students to give me some kind of advice on what the class would be like and what kind of assignments would be given for homework. I tried to mentally prepare myself for the class by recalling all of the previous times that I had remembered being exposed to literature. The first thing that came to mind was being in 10th grade because I remember us having a literature textbook. I also recall reading well known stories by Shakespeare and analyzing stories and poems in depth. So I expected that the class would be similar to my highschool experience in some small way. When I had gotten through the first two classes of world lit. this semester, I realized that not only would this class teach me about different authors and their stories but that it was going to help me learn how to break things down and analyze in depth. This is the importance of world literature. It exposes you to a wide variety of authors and stories and in doing so it helps you to get a clearer understanding of what you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment