Tuesday, September 4, 2012

World Lit.. Who Cares?

                   For starters I'd like to say that I didn't think this class would be meaningful or even interesting. I was only taking the class due to it being apart of my degree plan. I assummed that it would be boring, and I'd spend alot of time doodling on my paper. Even before school started I was asking myself, "What does this class have to do with being a Nurse Practitioner?" "Am I going to use this on a patient?" "Honestly who cares about World Lit?" I just couldn't understand why a nursing major needed this class. As I prepared for the first day of class I just knew it was going to be a bad day, especially since I had World Lit first thing in the morning!
               Now let me say that I was oh so wrong about this class. The minute the teacher walked in I could tell from her presence that I was in the class and that this was going to be an awesome year! The pipe cleaner exercise we did in class was very interesting to me. I felt as though I could relate to it in a way. Not only was that excercise an opener, but the two stories we read made me look at myself a little differenly. I'm part Geechie. For those of you who don't know what Geechie is, it's a host of different African descendants who reside from Flordia, Georgia, and South Carolina. My family is from the Charleston, South Carolina. As a young child I was always picked on for how fast I talked and how thick my accent was, the way my ear lopes stick out, how big my hands are, and a host of other things. We speak with a thick, heavy accent, which is rather fast and hard to understand. I've grown out of mine but when I'm upset it seems to come out!
             As I read, Achebe: Chike's School Days, I was a little upset. The story made we reflect on all the sterotypes and how I was picked on as a child. It was hard growning up In little Marianna, Arkansas, where no one understood what you were saying, or they picked on you cause you had big feet and ran rather fast to be a tweleve year old. I was known as, "the ugly weird big foot Indian." Not only that, but they didn't expect me to succeed. So I had to show them. My fifth grade year of school I was accepted in to the gifted and talented program, I won many AKA pageants, I placed first place in a few science fairs, and I started for every volleyball and basketball game I played in. My my my, look at how the tables have turned!
            I said all of that to say that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I assumed the class would be horrible and I wouldn't learn anything. The first day of class made me realize that this class is exactly what I need. Even though Achebe, Allende and I are in different time periods, we all have expericed something that has made us stronger. Who cares about World Lit, I do. This class is going to enlighten me on a lot of different things from the pass that could possibly be helpful for me later in life.

1 comment:

  1. What a thoughtful, provocative post. I think you exemplify the very reason world literature is important to study--it makes us feel human and understand our human condition.

    ReplyDelete